Apr 21, 2010

Getting To Know...Tiffany Dunn

I have been one to follow a lot of new talent, from singers to dancers of all kinds. One of my latest finds is a girl named Tiffany Dunn, an extremely talented singer and dancer. She originated from Phoenix, Arizona and is now based in California, making moves as a choreographer, covering a ton of different tracks in the studio, and doing her own handful of live performances as a singer. I had the opportunity to ask her a few questions about her life as an Up and Coming artist and what it's like to balance her new exciting life.

 

Remeice Ellis: How long have you been singing?
Tiffany Dunn: I remember the First time I realized I could sing was in my kids’ choir at church and I auditioned for a lead part in a musical. The part had more acting in it then singing, so when I auditioned the song they ended up putting me as a character with the main singing roles because they liked my voice! The song I auditioned was “Amazing Grace” I was 9 or 10.
RE: When did you decide that that singing was the thing that you really wanted to pursue?
TD: I decided I wanted to be a singer when I was in church watching my dad sing in front of everyone. He would let me come up and join him and I loved it!! I couldn’t wait for the next week so I could do it again. Also at every family party I would make sure to put on a show for everyone. I would gather up all my cousins and direct a dance or musical!
RE: I saw your cover video for Knock You Down and it was awesome! Who are some of your influences in the music world?
TD: Definitely Justin Timberlake is a big one. I remember going to his concert and while all my friends where dancing around and talking and having fun, I was sitting down in awe watching every little thing he would do and how he would do it, he would incorporate instruments, dancing, singing (of course) and the way he would perform was just unreal. I remember thinking that I could do that, and that’s how I wanted my concerts to be. Also Keyshia Cole (she sings with so much feeling) Janet Jackson, Michael…
RE: Are there any particular artists you would like to work with in the future?
TD: Uhhh yaa!! Justin Timberlake! Ryan Leslie. Maroon Five. Pharrell.
RE: You’re also a dancer/choreographer. How long have you been involved in that?
TD: I have been dancing around since I was a little one.. but I finally took a hip hop class at 16, it ended up being a “break dancing” class and I picked it up quick cause I had been doin gymnastics since I was 8 or so. The instructor, his name is b-boy House, took me under his wing and brought me to his practices and I then started teaching and getting really serious with dance, toured Europe back up dancing for international artists, choreographed and taught all over Europe and the U.S.
RE: Do you have a favorite dance routine that you have done in the past, whether it was on stage or something you put together in the studio maybe?
TD: Well everything is pretty much put together in some kind of studio before it goes on stage.. my best moment was when I put together a whole show, wrote the songs, choreographed, picked out my dancers, and performed… opened for Lil Wayne in Tucson Arizona.
RE: I saw that you also have another part to your dance resume and that’s being a B-girl. What's your favorite step?
TD: I love footwork… and I love doing anything on my hands.
RE: I noticed you handle some instruments. How many do you play? How long have you been playing each?
TD: I started with the flute in elementary and middle school haha but I was like…"how am I suppose to sing with this thing" lol. I have been playing the guitar the longest, my dad taught me... And I have been teaching myself the piano.
RE: Being a music artist and a choreographer, I can imagine that that’s a lot to have on your plate. How do you balance it all?
TD: Its extremely hard but extremely easy at the same time.. at the end of the day, what you do with your time shows who you are and what your passions are. I work my butt off to support myself but no matter what I always make time for my music, it’s my therapy. It has gotten me through many struggles.
RE: Let’s change things up a little bit and talk about your style. Its edgy, sexy, and fun all at the same time. What inspires your taste?
TD: I like to be different, and I like to catch people off guard, and possibly prove them wrong. But being classy and positive is a must. I always want to take it to the next level, and do things females (esp. white blonde chicks) don’t typically do. I break the stereotype.
RE: Before we end, do you have any words of advice for any young and talented ladies out there that are working their way up?
TD: Don’t stop. No matter what. If you are meant to live your dream then you won’t stop. The moment you stop, that means it wasn’t your dream.
RE: Where can your fans follow you and progress?
TD: Twitter/tiffanydunn
A new myspace will be up shortly, until then twitter =]

Here is Tiffany's cover of Keri Hilson's "Knock You Down"



Show the girl some LOVE!!!!









3 comments:

  1. dude i love the song. she sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow she seems cool. hope to see her make it someday

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol i know right?!
    shes so nice and so talented. i think she can do big things =]

    ReplyDelete